Amtrak Glenwood Springs, CO Historic Renovation
The Amtrak Glenwood Springs station was designed by Austrian-born architect Theodore von Rosenberg and built by the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad in 1904. The depot is characteristic of the Romanesque Revival style, exhibited by the two towers that flank the depot entrance, incorporating thick walls with small windows and steeply pitched hip roofs. The materials used in the original construction are Frying Pan River red sandstone, brick, and clay tile roofing.
George Allen Construction provided historic masonry and roofing restoration services, including cosmetic and structural repairs. Cosmetic repairs include restoring or replacing any damaged materials. Masonry structural repairs included tuckpointing and patching the mortar that supports the brick and sandstone. Roofing structural repairs included fixing or replacing the wood battens that support the clay tiles.